What name should you use when booking your honeymoon?

What name should you use when booking your honeymoon?

Want to check in as Mr & Mrs at your hotel or play it safe and keep your maiden name until after your return?

Here's what you need to know...

Booking under your maiden name

Not the same feeling as arriving at your destination and checking in as Mr & Mrs BUT the administration is certainly easier.

Simply book your flights and hotel using the name on your passport and there will be no stress when boarding the flight.

Some hotels ask for proof of marriage and in the UK you can ask for a ceremonial copy of your wedding certificate to take with you to enjoy all the newly wed benefits the hotel has to offer.

Booking under your new name

If you are yet to book your honeymoon but travelling under your new name is a must, tell your travel agent so they can help with the process.  It will be costly to change the name on the booking if this is something you decide to do after you have booked.

You can start the process of applying for a passport in your married name three months before you officially tie the knot.

Your new passport will be post-dated so you won’t be able to use it before the ceremony…your old passport will be cancelled so watch out for any Ibiza hen do’s in the run up to the wedding, you’ll be UK only.

You need a special form (PD2) when you apply for your post-dated passport – the Registrar who will marry you has to sign this.  You need to sign it also with your current name and signature. 

The form, fully completed, has to be sent along with your new passport application.

If you’re getting married abroad then this is a no-go as you’ll be unable to apply for a post-dated passport so you'll need to book everything in your maiden name.

Depending on where you are honeymooning, you may also need to consider Visa requirements.  Countries where you pay for an entry visa at the airport will not be an issue as your flights and passport will be in your new name.  For some countries however, where you need to organise a Visa in advance, consult your travel agent for advice on whether they will accept post-dated Visa applications in line with your new passport.

For up to date information on the process, visit https://www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

Back to blog